Thursday, March 9, 2017

March 9, 2017
Scripture of the day:

Joel 2:1

  • Old Testament
Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the Lord cometh, for it is nigh at hand; 


I spend days not getting on the computer to see Facebook or watch the news because the ways of our world make me sad, anxious and depressed actually.  I avoid those things so I can endure my days.

I went on Facebook tonight.  Facebook makes me want the Lord to return but I know the world actually has to get even worse before that day. So I was looking for a scripture talking about the Lord coming back again and I found this one. This one brought me a little joy with a memory.

Many years ago I was a nursery leader.  One of the favorite activities of the children after we had given the lesson, had our snack and were needing to do something fun and active til the parents came was to play "ring around the rosie".  Here is where my degree in history (yeah I had that first) makes me a little too smart for my britches.  I thought the ring around the rosie theme a little morbid and not really a good Sunday activity.  It is about the black plague.  The plague causes a rash that looks like a ring and is red hence the ring around the rosie.  Pocketful of posies is what you put on the dead.  Ashes ashes is because you need to burn the bodies so not to spread the disease.  We all fall down refers to the hopelessness of the situation meaning everyone will die.  See why I felt that way about this song-play.

So I wrote my own words to the same tune and has the same actions.

Run around Jericho, Priest do your trumpets blow,
Shout up shout up walls fall down.

It is referring to the story in the bible about the defeating of Jericho where there was a very unorthodox way of fighting to defeat the walls of the city. (See Joshua 6: 1-21)

So I had a couple of parents ask me for the words back then.  Recently I came across one of those parents at the school where I tutor.  We talked and reconnected.  Then about a month later I realized one of the students I tutor is her son.  I mentioned to him that I was most likely his nursery leader.  He brought up the rhyme.  I thought it was cool that he would know it.

So now that scripture gives me joy now and I can wait a little longer.




No comments:

Post a Comment